CANEY CREEK (LEON COUNTY)
CANEY CREEK (Leon County). Caney Creek rises two miles north of Normangee in southwestern Leon County (at 31°04' N, 96°08' W) and runs southeast for thirty-seven miles to its mouth on Bedias Creek, in southern Madison County (at 30°53' N, 95°48' W). The surrounding gently sloping to nearly level terrain is surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support pecan, elm, water oak, hackberry, post oak, and black hickory trees. The Old San Antonio Road, a thoroughfare for early Spanish and French explorers, crossed the headwaters of the stream. Settlement in the vicinity began during the 1830s when the Pee Dee community was established on the east bank of the creek near its mouth. Madisonville, the seat of Madison County, was founded on the east bank of the lower creek in 1854. Bullard and Center were on the west bank of the lower creek in the late 1800s, and High Prairie was on the west bank of the middle creek.
Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CANEY CREEK (LEON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbc56), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.