BLACK WALNUT CREEK
BLACK WALNUT CREEK. Black Walnut Creek, also known as Walnut Creek, is a perennial stream that rises four miles east of New Ulm in western Austin County (at 29°53' N, 96°25' W) and flows northeast for seven miles through mostly open country to its mouth on West Mill Creek (at 29°57' N, 96°24' W). It traverses rolling to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy loam that supports post oak, blackjack oak, elm, hackberry, water oak, and pecan trees near the banks. Settlement in the vicinity of the stream began during the early 1830s. The sandy soils in this well-timbered region of Austin County, between New Ulm and Cat Spring, render much of the area unsuitable for agriculture and have slowed settlement. During the late 1840s German immigrants established New Bremen near the creek's mouth.
C. W. Schmidt, Footprints of Five Generations (New Ulm, Texas: New Ulm Enterprise, 1930).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BLACK WALNUT CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbtk), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.