BIG BLUFF CREEK
BIG BLUFF CREEK. Big Bluff Creek rises three miles north of U.S. Highway 377 in western Mason County (at 30°49' N, 99°26' W) and runs southeast for thirteen miles to its mouth on the Llano River, 2½ miles north of Ranch Road 1871 (at 30°41' N, 99°23' W). The stream rises in the limestone hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and traverses a section of the Llano basin characterized by flat to rolling terrain surfaced by loam, clay, and shallow, stony soils that support grasses and open stands of live oak, mesquite, and Ashe juniper. Early settlers established themselves on the creek around 1855. The settlements on Big Bluff, Little Bluff, and Honey creeks eventually became known as Streeter.
J. Marvin Hunter, "Brief History of Mason County," Frontier Times, November, December 1928; January, February, March 1929.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BIG BLUFF CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbbqs), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.