BEAVER CREEK (MASON COUNTY)
BEAVER CREEK (Mason County). Beaver Creek begins at the convergence of Threadgill and Squaw creeks, 3½ miles east of the Hilda church and cemetery in southeastern Mason County (at 30°32' N, 99°05' W). The stream, fed by numerous artesian springs, flows north for twelve miles to its mouth on the Llano River, a mile southeast of the Hedwig Hill community (at 30°40' N, 99°06' W). Beaver Creek rises in limestone hills on the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and traverses flat to rolling terrain with local escarpments. The land surface is shallow, stony, and clayey, with some areas of deep sandy loam. Grasses and open stands of live oak, mesquite, and Ashe juniper predominate in the area flora. Early German settlers from Fredericksburg began to settle along the banks of Beaver Creek around 1855. The community of Hilda later grew out of these settlements.
Kathryn Burford Eilers, A History of Mason County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). Mason County News, Centennial Edition, June 19, 1958.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BEAVER CREEK (MASON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbb85), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.