- Get Involved
KRUMBHAAR’S TEXAS BATTERY
KRUMBHAAR'S TEXAS BATTERY. Capt. William B. Krumbhaar organized the Seventeenth Texas Field Battery, better known as Krumbhaar's Texas Battery, to serve specifically with Smith P. Bankhead's Brigade in April 1863. Krumbhaar rose rapidly through the Confederate ranks. Starting at the outbreak of the war in 1861 as a private in the Fifth Company Washington Artillery of New Orleans, by September 1862 Krumbhaar received a promotion to lieutenant.
At the end of 1862, Krumbhaar accompanied Smith P. Bankhead to Texas and became the captain of his battery, which had a variety of names including the Texas Horse Artillery and the Texas Guards. Most of the men composing the battery came from Company F of the First Regiment Arizona Brigade, and a small number came from Col. Edward J. Gurley's Thirtieth Texas Cavalry. The balance of men enlisted straight into the battery from Castroville, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, and a few from western Louisiana, which made the battery thirty men strong. The battery joined Bankhead's brigade in June 1863. By the spring of 1864 the brigade had changed commanders and names when Brig. Gen. Richard Montgomery Gano took command of the now-dubbed Gano's Brigade. In this command the battery only fired their four mountain howitzers in battle at Poison Spring, Arkansas.
Capt. William Krumbhaar received a promotion to major and chief of artillery for Indian Territory on October 7,1864. Krumbhaar left Capt. W. M. Stafford in command of the battery. Capt. Sylvanus Howell, also of Gano's Brigade, replaced Krumbhaar on March 12, 1865, after Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Department of the Trans-Mississippi, relieved him of duty. In the last months of the war, Stafford's (Krumbhaar's) Battery joined Howell's Battery and Dashiell's Battery to form the Seventh Mounted Artillery Battalion, which disbanded in May 1865 as part of Sam Bell Maxey's Division.
Anne J. Bailey, "Was There a Massacre at Poison Spring?" Military History of the Southwest 20 (Fall 1990). Anne J. Bailey and Daniel E. Sutherland, eds., Civil War Arkansas: Beyond Battles and Leaders (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2000). Alwyn Barr, "Texas' Confederate Field Artillery," Texas Military History 1 (August 1961). Alwyn Barr, "Confederate Artillery in Arkansas," Arkansas Historical Quarterly 22 (Fall 1963). Mark Christ, ed. Rugged and Sublime:The Civil War in Arkansas (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1994). Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. Lester N. Fitzhugh(comp.), Texas Batteries, Battalions, Regiments, Commanders and Field Officers: Confederate States Army, 1861–1865 (Midlothian, Texas: Mirror Press, 1959). Ludwell H. Johnson, Red River Campaign: Politics and Cotton in the Civil War (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1958). Robert L. Kerby, Kirby Smith's Confederacy: The Trans-Mississippi South 1863–1865 (New York: Columbia University Press, 1972).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "KRUMBHAAR’S TEXAS BATTERY," accessed September 18, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qkk01.
Uploaded on March 31, 2011. Modified on June 8, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.