HORSE MARINES. The name Horse Marines was given to a volunteer ranger group of 1836. Anticipating that Mexican troops might land on the Texas seaboard, Gen. Thomas J. Rusk detailed mounted ranger companies to patrol the coast. On May 29, 1836, Maj. Isaac Watts Burton with about thirty men was ordered to scour the sector between the mouth of the Guadalupe and Mission Bay. Walter Lambert, Nicholas Lambert, and John Keating, Refugio colonists who were with the army and knew the country, accompanied the rangers as guides.
On June 2 Burton learned of a suspicious vessel in Copano Bay and hurried his force to that point. By daylight next morning he had his men in ambush near Copano. Two or three rangers made signals of distress. The vessel hoisted both American signals and Texan colors, but these were not answered; they then hoisted Mexican signals, which the men answered as distressed Mexicans. The captain and four sailors, who came in a boat to their assistance, were immediately seized, and sixteen of the rangers took their places in the boat and rowed out to the vessel, the schooner Watchman, loaded with provisions for the Mexican armies. The crew, mistaking the rangers for their comrades, permitted them to come aboard without resistance. One account states that Col. Juan Davis Bradburn, a passenger aboard the vessel, perceived the situation, jumped into a small boat, and rowed away safely.
Burton prepared to send the Watchman to Velasco as a prize of war, but unfavorable winds delayed immediate departure. The vessel lay in the harbor until June 17, when two more vessels were sighted off the bar. These schooners, the Comanche and the Fanny Butler, were also loaded with supplies for the Mexican army. The captain of the Watchman was required to decoy the captains of the Comanche and Fanny Butler aboard the Watchman. The officers were seized, and their ships and cargoes fell into the hands of the rangers without struggle.
The three prizes were first taken to Velasco and then sent to Galveston, where the cargoes were condemned, but the vessels, being American owned, were eventually returned to their owners. Col. Edward J. Wilson of Lexington, Kentucky, wrote of the capture of three Mexican vessels by a troop on horses and said that he supposed they would be called "Horse Marines."
Hubert Howe Bancroft, History of the North Mexican States and Texas (2 vols., San Francisco: History Company, 1886, 1889). William Campbell Binkley, ed., Official Correspondence of the Texan Revolution, 1835–1836 (2 vols., New York: Appleton-Century, 1936). Hobart Huson, El Copano: Ancient Port of Bexar and La Bahia (Refugio, Texas: Refugio Timely Remarks, 1935). Henderson K. Yoakum, History of Texas from Its First Settlement in 1685 to Its Annexation to the United States in 1846 (2 vols., New York: Redfield, 1855).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Hobart Huson, "HORSE MARINES," accessed May 26, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qjh01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 31, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.