LAMESA FIELD. Lamesa Field, at Lamesa, Dawson County, was established on June 10, 1942, to give elementary and advanced glider training to army aviation cadets. Lt. Walter S. Power, Lt. James V. Mesita, Maj. Walter W. Farmer, and Capt. John B. Keller were commanding officers of the Twenty-eighth Army Air Forces Glider Training Detachment until its deactivation on February 15, 1943. In April 1943 the Third Army Air Forces Liaison Training Detachment was moved from Plainview to Lamesa, and the field gave liaison training until it was deactivated on February 26, 1944.
Airport Directory, Continental United States, Vol. 1 (Washington: Aeronautical Chart Service, U.S. Army Air Forces, 1945).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAMESA FIELD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcl01), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.