FORT MILAM. A second Fort Milam, later known as Fort Burleson, was constructed in January and February of 1839 on the east bank of the Brazos near the home of John Marlin, a few miles east of the old Fort Milam and two miles south of the site of present Marlin in Falls County. The new fort was a response to a devastating Indian attack that winter. It was built and temporarily garrisoned by Capt. Joseph Daniels's Milam Guards company from Houston, "150 feet square, built of Cedar pickets doubl[e] banked, eleven feet high with bastions at each angle." Daniels's men departed in mid-February, and Lt. William G. Evans marched thirty-four Houston volunteers-the Travis Spies-into the fort on April 3; in the Austin colony Capt. John Bird raised an additional company that arrived at Fort Milam on May 6. These two companies remained through the spring and summer. At their discharge the government planned to garrison the fort with regulars from the First Infantry. On August 26, 1839, Lt. Col. William S. Fisher ordered the name of the post changed to Fort Burleson, in honor of Edward Burleson, commander of the Army of the Republic of Texas, and from that time until late in the spring of 1840 the fort was manned by Company D of the regulars, commanded first by Capt. George T. Howard and later by Capt. John Holliday. The company was moved to Camp Chambers that spring, however. The fort passed into private hands and was maintained by local citizens until danger of Indian attack had passed.
Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar, Vols. 2 and 4. Adele B. Looscan, "Capt. Joseph Daniels," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 5 (July 1901). Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969). George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "FORT MILAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcf28), accessed February 11, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles