DENTON FIELD. Denton Field, which was 2½ miles northeast of Denton, was the site of the North Texas civilian pilot-training program of the Civilian Aeronautics Authority from 1940 to 1945. The original purpose of the program, which began in 1939, was to aid in the proper instruction of private flyers, but after World War II began, the program emphasized preparing young men for military flying. Colonel Ralph Devore, director of Region Four of the Civilian Aeronautics Authority, selected Denton as the site for the region's North Texas base, and construction was begun and completed during the summer of 1940. The program at Denton began on October 10, 1940, with Theron J. Fouts as director, C. S. Floyd, Jr., as flight instructor, and Fred Connell, Jr., as ground instructor. The program accepted young men between the ages of nineteen and twenty-six who had completed one year of college and could pass a medical examination. Each student received seventy-two hours of ground training and between thirty-five and forty-five hours of flying, half flown solo. In the fall of 1940 twenty students enrolled in the program. The following year that number increased to thirty-five. From 1942 to 1945 an average of thirty-three students graduated each academic year. At the end of the war the civilian pilot-training program ended and Denton Field was abandoned. The army later selected the field as the site of one of four Nike-Hercules missile batteries in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The base was completed in 1959 and dismantled in the spring of 1964. Although not in use in the 1980s and early 1990s Denton Field remained the property of the federal government.
Campus Chat, North Texas State University, July 20, 1941. Denton Record-Chronicle, September 27, 1940, September 8, 1959, May 12, 1964. James Lloyd Rogers, The Story of North Texas (Denton: North Texas State University, 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "DENTON FIELD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcd02), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.