Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


CAMP CHAMBERS (Victoria County). The first Camp Chambers, on the west bank of Arenosa Creek near the Texana-Victoria road crossing, three miles southeast of the site of present Inez in what is now Victoria County, was the last of a series of encampments of the Army of the Republic of Texas made on the lower Lavaca and Navidad rivers in 1837. The camp was occupied by Capt. Samuel W. Jordan's company of permanent volunteers and Capt. James Jevons's company of regulars from August through October or early November. It was named for Gen. Thomas Jefferson Chambersqv and commanded by Col. Edwin Morehouse.


Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).

Thomas W. Cutrer


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas W. Cutrer, "CAMP CHAMBERS," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.