CAMP WAUL. Camp Waul, a Confederate training camp, was at Old Gay Hill, seven miles north of Brenham in Washington County. New Year's Creek ran through the camp, which bordered the southern boundary of Glenblythe Plantation. Camp Waul was named for Thomas Neville Waul. After Waul's Legion was organized at Brenham on May 13, 1862, it trained at Camp Waul until it was ordered out of state on August 18, 1862. During training a severe measles epidemic resulted in the illness of 600 soldiers, but not many died. Soldiers from Austin, Fayette, and Washington counties trained at Camp Waul. During its brief existence, the camp had plentiful food but shortages of arms and other supplies.
John Duff Brown, "Reminiscences of Jno. Duff Brown," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 12 (April 1909). Robert A. Hasskarl, Waul's Texas Legion, 1862–1865 (Ada, Oklahoma: Book Bindery, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "CAMP WAUL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc40), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.