CAMP VAN CAMP
CAMP VAN CAMP. Camp Van Camp, near the site of present Newcastle in central Young County, was a United States military outpost of Fort Belknap. It was established on April 30, 1859, and named in memory of Lt. Cornelius Van Camp, a topographical officer in Earl Van Dorn's expedition. Van Camp was killed in a battle at Wichita Village, Indian Territory, on October 1, 1858. The camp was abandoned on August 28, 1859. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker at the site.
Robert B. Roberts, Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States (New York: Macmillan, 1988). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP VAN CAMP," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc38), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.