CAMP SALMON. Camp Salmon was on a branch of Hubbard Creek near Sloan's Ranch in northeast Callahan County. It was established in March 1862 by Col. James M. Norris as a station for the Frontier Regiment. Norris placed half a company under the command of Capt. John Salmon at or near the site of present Breckinridge in Stephens County and the other half at Camp Salmon, which was named for the company commander. The troops initially lived in the open. Huts were not constructed until the summer of 1862. The principal mission of the soldiers was to protect the Ledbetter Salt Works, located in the southwestern part of Shackelford County, against Indian attacks. Beginning in the early part of 1864 and continuing until the close of the war, the attention of the frontier regiment was principally directed to Jayhawkers and deserters. In March 1864 the regiment was consolidated and Camp Salmon was abandoned.
Brutus Clay Chrisman, Early Days in Callahan County (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Printing and Stationery, 1966). William Curry Holden, "Frontier Defense in Texas during the Civil War," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 4 (1928). Bill Winsor, Texas in the Confederacy (Hillsboro, Texas: Hill Junior College Press, 1978). Dudley Goodall Wooten, ed., A Comprehensive History of Texas (2 vols., Dallas: Scarff, 1898; rpt., Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "CAMP SALMON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc36), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.