CAMP MONTEL. Camp Montel, at the head of Seco Creek in Bandera County, was established by James M. Norris in March 1862 as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. The post was manned by rangers under Charles DeMontel until the consolidation of the Frontier Regiment in March 1864. In 1870 DeMontel, with a large surveying party, located another Camp Montel on the Nueces River in northern Uvalde County. At this site the town of Montell was later established. In 1880 and 1881 Company G of the First Texas Volunteer Cavalry was organized and named the Montell Guards. The company, consisting of thirty-seven men and an ordnance store, was stationed at Montell. A historical marker for Camp Montel is at the Bandera County Courthouse.
Charles de Montel Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. William Curry Holden, "Frontier Defense in Texas during the Civil War," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 4 (1928).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.E. C. de Montel, "CAMP MONTEL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc30), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.