CAMP MERRILL. Camp Merrill, on a site formerly known as Camp Casa Blanca on the south side of the Nueces River in northeastern Jim Wells County, was established in 1852. The camp may have been a subpost of Fort Merrill; both installations were named for Hamilton W. Merrill. The town of Casa Blanca later developed on the site.
William Curry Holden, "Frontier Defense in Texas during the Civil War," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 4 (1928).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP MERRILL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc29), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles