CAMP JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON
CAMP JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON. Camp Joseph E. Johnston, a temporary federal outpost on the south side of the North Concho River in northwestern Tom Green County, was named for Joseph E. Johnston, who in 1849 had commanded an army topographic party in surveying the road between San Antonio and El Paso. Five companies of the Eighth United States Infantryqv, a total of 284 persons, including families and servants of officers, garrisoned the camp between March 15 and November 18, 1852, under command of General J. Garland.
Arrie Barrett, Federal Military Outposts in Texas, 1845–1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dorman H. Winfrey, "CAMP JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc22), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.