CAMP DRUM. Camp Drum, a United States military post at Zapata on the Rio Grande, was established in 1852 and abandoned the same year. About the time of its establishment, C. H. Tyler, of the Second United States Dragoons, arrived with orders to establish a camp and call it Camp Bugle. The officer of the Fourth United States Artillery, already on the site, secured an order from another authority to use the name Camp Drum. The abandonment may have been caused by local friction, the reduced fear of border disturbances, or the westward movement of the frontier.
Texas Almanac, 1936. WPA Writers' Program, Texas: A Guide (New York: Hastings House, 1940; rev. ed. 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAMP DRUM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcc12), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.