POST SAN MARCOS
POST SAN MARCOS. Post San Marcos was a fort during the Republic of Texas era. It was located at San Marcos Springs at the head of the San Marcos River in what is now Hays County. It was occupied by Capt. Joseph Wiehl's Company H, First Infantry regiment between October 1840 and February 1841. After the regular army was disbanded, the post was probably dismantled by the settlers who arrived next.
Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "POST SAN MARCOS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbp04), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.