PERRIN AIR FORCE BASE
PERRIN AIR FORCE BASE. Perrin Air Force Base at Sherman was known as Perrin Army Air Field when it was established as a basic flying school in the summer of 1941. It was named for Lt. Col. Elmer D. Perrin, a Texan who was killed while flying the new B-26 aircraft at Baltimore, Maryland. The field was deactivated in 1946 but reopened as Perrin Air Force Base in April 1948. The base conducted jet pilot training and survival training for air crews through 1969. It also had a pilot instructor school. The installation was finally closed in 1970, and the property was deeded to Grayson County.
Betty Burdett, "Perrin Field," Junior Historian, December 1948.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "PERRIN AIR FORCE BASE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbp01), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.