UPPER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY
UPPER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY. The Upper Colorado River Authority was established in 1935 by the Forty-fourth Texas Legislature to control, store, and distribute the waters of the Colorado River and its tributaries within the designated district of Coke and Tom Green counties. The Texas legislature in 1944 remitted to the authority for a period of twenty years the state ad valorem taxes collected in the two counties for general revenue purposes. In September 1948 the Upper Colorado River Authority purchased from the United States, for $820,000, the conservation storage capacity of 80,400 acre-feet at the North Concho Dam and Reservoir (later O. C. Fisher Lake), located just northwest of San Angelo. For fifty years the United States Army Corps of Engineers will maintain this dam, after which time the river authority will assume that responsibility. Other major projects of the Upper Colorado River Authority include the Twin Buttes Reservoir, constructed in the early 1960s in Tom Green County, and the E. V. Spence Reservoir, completed in 1969 in Coke County. The river authority is governed by a board of directors appointed by the governor to six-year overlapping terms. See also CENTRAL COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY, and LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Comer Clay, "UPPER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mwu02), accessed July 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.