BRIGADE DISTRICTS. Thirty-two brigade districts were established by the Texas legislature on February 14, 1860, to facilitate the organization of the state militia. After the outbreak of the Civil War, a special law of December 25, 1861, organized the state into thirty-three districts, corresponding generally to the thirty-three senatorial districts. Each district was headed by a brigadier general appointed by the governor. After organization each brigade elected its own commanding officer. A general law of the Tenth Legislature on December 16, 1863, reduced the number of districts to six, and the organization of the districts was suspended with the end of the Civil War.
Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Clinton P. Hartmann, "BRIGADE DISTRICTS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mwb03), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.