TREATIES OF VELASCO
TREATIES OF VELASCO. Two treaties were signed by ad interim president David G. Burnet and Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna at Velasco on May 14, 1836, after defeat of the Mexican forces at the battle of San Jacinto. The public treaty was to be published immediately, and the secret agreement was to be carried into execution when the public treaty had been fulfilled. The public treaty, with ten articles, provided that hostilities would cease, that Santa Anna would not again take up arms against Texas, that the Mexican forces would withdraw beyond the Rio Grande, that restoration would be made of property confiscated by Mexicans, that prisoners would be exchanged on an equal basis, that Santa Anna would be sent to Mexico as soon as possible, and that the Texas army would not approach closer than five leagues to the retreating Mexicans. In the secret agreement, in six articles, the Texas government promised the immediate liberation of Santa Anna on condition that he use his influence to secure from Mexico acknowledgment of Texas independence; Santa Anna promised not to take up arms against Texas, to give orders for withdrawal from Texas of Mexican troops, to have the Mexican cabinet receive a Texas mission favorably, and to work for a treaty of commerce and limits specifying that the Texas boundary not lie south of the Rio Grande. Gen. Vicente Filisola, in pursuance of the public treaty, began withdrawing the Mexican troops on May 26; the Texas army, however, refused to let Santa Anna be sent to Mexico and prevented the Texas government's carrying out the secret treaty. On May 20 the government in Mexico City declared void all of Santa Anna's acts done as a captive. With the treaties violated by both governments and not legally recognized by either, Texas independence was not recognized by Mexico and her boundary not determined until the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.