BOARD OF CONTROL
BOARD OF CONTROL. The Board of Control was established by the Texas legislature in 1919 and was composed of three members appointed by the governor for six-year, overlapping terms. The major duties of the board were to purchase supplies for the departments and eleemosynary and educational institutions of the state; control the state's public buildings and grounds; rent extra buildings and offices for state agencies; prepare the biennial appropriation budget and submit it to the governor; and control the state historical parks.
The Board of Control was responsible for the administration of the state's eleemosynary institutions until 1949, when administration was transferred to the new Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools. In 1951 the Budget Division of the Board of Control was transferred to the governor's office. In 1953 the old Board of Control was reorganized, and a new one, composed of three part-time gubernatorial appointees, was established. The agency's functions included serving as the chief purchasing office for state departments and institutions, auditing and certifying to the comptroller of public accounts all claims for goods sold to the state, and operating and maintaining the Capitol and other state office buildings, grounds, the State Cemetery, and other state property in Austin. After the State Building Commission was established in 1954, that agency assumed the duties carried out by the Engineering Section of the Board of Control. The Sixty-fifth Legislature later abolished the State Building Commission and transferred duties back to the board.
In the 1970s the board's responsibilities included managing a system of telecommunications services for state agencies. It maintained a central office-supply store, messenger service, and telephone service, as well as an office-machine repair service. The agency was organized into six divisions: Central Purchasing, Centralized Services, Automated Services, Building and Property Services, Security, and Telecommunications Services. In 1979 the Board of Control was abolished and replaced by the State Purchasing and General Services Commission.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Dick Smith, "Board of Control," accessed May 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mdb02.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles