BOARD FOR TEXAS STATE HOSPITALS AND SPECIAL SCHOOLS
BOARD FOR TEXAS STATE HOSPITALS AND SPECIAL SCHOOLS. The Board for Texas State Hospitals and Special Schools was established by the Fifty-first Legislature in the spring of 1949 to govern the state hospitals and state schools formerly under the jurisdiction of the Board of Control. A nine-member board, of which no more than three could be physicians, was appointed by the governor, with concurrence by the Senate, to six-year overlapping terms. The board approved budgets for the central office and each individual institution. In 1956 the board exercised oversight of twenty-two hospitals and special schools. It was abolished in 1965 and its duties transferred to other departments, primarily the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BOARD FOR TEXAS STATE HOSPITALS AND SPECIAL SCHOOLS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mdb01), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.