INSPECTOR OF HIDES AND ANIMALS
INSPECTOR OF HIDES AND ANIMALS. The office of inspector of hides and animals was established in 1871 and filled by appointment by the governor for a four-year term. The inspector was supposed to aid in the prevention of cattle theft by a thorough inspection of all hides and animals shipped out of the county for sale. After the adoption of the Constitution of 1876 the office became elective, and the term was shortened to two years. By action of the legislature, many counties were exempt from electing an inspector; about one-third of Texas counties had the official in 1945. Few, if any, counties in Texas continued the office in the 1990s.
The E. L. Steck Company's County Commissioner's Legal Guide Defining the Duties, Powers, and Privileges of a County Commissioner (Austin: Steck, 1931).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick Smith, "INSPECTOR OF HIDES AND ANIMALS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mbi01), accessed May 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.