SID RICHARDSON MUSEUM
SID RICHARDSON MUSEUM. The Sid Richardson Museum (formerly Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art), in Fort Worth, features paintings by artists of the American West, primarily Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. On permanent display are fifty-two works from the collection of late oilman and philanthropist Sid W. Richardson, plus four additional works acquired since his death. Well-known paintings in the collection include Remington's The Buffalo Runners, Big Horn Basin (1909), and Russell's Buffalo Bill's Duel with Yellow Hand (1917). Richardson became interested in western art in the 1940s and asked Bertram M. Newhouse, president of Newhouse Galleries in New York City, to form a collection of western pictures for him. The gallery remained his principal dealer from 1942 until 1947, the years when he acquired the majority of his paintings. His complete collection of eighty-two paintings is owned by the Sid W. Richardson Foundation. The collection had previously been on long-term loan to the Amon Carter Museum, where it was first exhibited in January 1964. Because lack of space prevented many of the paintings from being exhibited, the collection was moved to its own museum, directed since its opening by Jan Brenneman, in order to make it more available to the public. The foundation trustees chose the museum site in downtown Fort Worth both for its convenience to downtown visitors and workers and for the compatible atmosphere of the area. The museum and foundation offices are located in a replica of an 1895 building restored by Woodward and Associates of Dallas in Sundance Square, an area of restored buildings. The museum opened on November 23, 1982, with sixteen Remingtons and thirty-four Russells on exhibit. Two Remington paintings acquired for the museum by Newhouse Galleries were added in January 1983; Scare in the Pack Train (1908) and Benighted-And a Dry Camp (1907) are two of the artist's later, slightly impressionistic works. An education program consisting of an outreach program and museum tours was officially started in 1992. In 1993 the collection acquired Remington's Among the Led Horses and in 1996 his The Love Call, both painted in 1909. In 2001 the museum had fifty-six permanent paintings, a staff of four full-time and four part-time employees, and more than 50,000 visitors a year. Funding for the museum is entirely generated by the Sid W. Richardson Foundation.
Brian W. Dippie, Remington and Russell: The Sid Richardson Collection, rev. ed. (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1994). Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art website. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jan Brenneman, "SID RICHARDSON MUSEUM," accessed June 02, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lbs06.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on August 30, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.