- Get Involved
PANHANDLE-PLAINS HISTORICAL MUSEUM
PANHANDLE-PLAINS HISTORICAL MUSEUM. The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the first state museum in Texas, began when faculty and students of West Texas State Teachers College at Canyon and area supporters organized in 1921 and incorporated in 1924 the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society. The purpose of the society is that of preserving source materials dealing with the pioneer life and development of West Texas and the collection of the relics of that life and of the natural history of the region. The museum represents a unique form of cooperation between the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, which owns and controls the collections, and the State of Texas, through West Texas A&M University and the Texas A&M University Board of Regents, that provides and maintains the building facilities. Through the generosity of area supporters and the State of Texas, the museum found a permanent location when the first structure was opened to the public on April 14, 1933. By 1986 five additions incorporated in excess of 200,000 square feet of exhibit, conservation, and storage space for 1,500,000 objects. In addition to major collections in anthropology, geology, paleontology, and natural history, the museum contains extensive materials on the cattle industry, the Plains Indians, firearms, transportation, the fine arts, the decorative arts, textiles, and historical artifacts depicting life in the region. Permanent exhibits include a replica of an early twentieth-century pioneer town, a display on oil and gas exploration and production, and galleries of European and American art with an emphasis upon Texas and southwestern artists, including C. F. (Frank) Reaughqv and the studio of painter and muralist Harold D. Bugbee. Located on the grounds is the T Anchor Ranch house built in 1877. The library and archives include manuscripts, photographs, oral histories, and newspapers that reflect the economic, social, cultural, and political life in the region and extensive materials from the ranching, farming, and oil industries. Also on deposit are the papers of several prominent Texas governmental leaders. The Panhandle-Plains Historical Society had a membership of 850 in 1995 and has published the Panhandle-Plains Historical Review annually since 1928.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Garry L. Nall, "Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum," accessed February 21, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lbp01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on May 12, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.