FIELDER MUSEUM. The Fielder Museum is located at the corner of Fielder and Abram streets in Arlington. The two-story building, a community landmark, was built in 1914 as the home of James Park and Mattie (Barnes) Fielder, Sr. Fielder was a successful lawyer, banker, farmer, and philanthropist, who had come to Texas from Tennessee in 1884. The Fielder House was one of the earliest brick homes in Arlington. It had electrical lighting, central heating, a hot-water system, and indoor plumbing. It crowned a 215-acre hilltop farm and became known as the "Home on the Hill." It was surrounded by large oaks and reportedly had one of the finest fruit orchards and vegetable gardens in the county.
In 1977–78 a group of Arlington citizens successfully campaigned for the preservation and restoration of the Fielder home. It was opened in April 1980 as the Fielder Museum. The purpose of the museum is the collection, preservation, and interpretation of local and county historical materials. The museum houses a permanent display of local artifacts including the extensive J. W. Dunlop collection of over 200 early local photographs. One permanent classroom has been furnished, and two galleries provided for changing exhibits. Annual events at the museum include the Community Christmas Tree Lighting, the Arlington Art Association Annual Juried Show, and a Fall Fest. Museum classes are scheduled throughout the year for youths and adults on a variety of subjects. The museum's education outreach program is designed to aid the public schools in their study of local and state history. Historical programs are also given to the community and organizations upon request. The museum administrator and staff publish a monthly newsletter and calendar of events, The Field World. Eight to ten exhibits are displayed at the museum per year. The Fielder House is a creative historical learning center and is designed to be a working museum. It has two state historical markers, a subject marker for James Fielder, and a building marker for the home itself. Both were placed in 1979 and dedicated on April 20, 1980, at the opening of the museum.
Dallas Morning News, April 18, 1982. Fielder House and Museum Scrapbooks, Fielder House Reference Library, Arlington, Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram, March 1, 1980. Rene Harris and Arista Joyner, Arlington, A Pictorial History (Norfolk, Virginia: Donning, 1982).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Gayla Weems Shannon, "Fielder Museum," accessed May 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lbf04.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on May 3, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles