GLOBE OF THE GREAT SOUTHWEST
GLOBE OF THE GREAT SOUTHWEST. The Globe of the Great Southwest is located on the Odessa College Campus in Odessa. It is reputed to be the most authentic permanent replica of the original Globe Theater built in 1598 on the Thames River in London, England, for William Shakespeare's acting company. Its stage is a facsimile of Shakespeare's Globe stage and provides six acting areas.
The idea of the reconstruction of a Shakespearean theater in Odessa originated in 1948 in Marjorie Morris's senior English class. Building the replica was adopted as a project of the Odessa High School Shakespeare Club; donations were solicited, and a local architect, J. Ellsworth Powell, drew the blueprints without remuneration and pledged supervision of the construction. Morris returned to school, wrote her thesis on the proposed theater, studied in England, and received her master's degree in English from North Texas State College (now the University of North Texas) in 1950. She began to teach at Odessa College in 1951. That year the Odessa College regents donated land on the campus on which to build the theater, a nonprofit organization was chartered, and fund-raising began. The Globe was constructed as money could be raised, largely through Morris's personal efforts. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on March 7, 1958; the main structure was completed in 1961; and the theater was dedicated in May 1964. Full-time theater activity began in the fall of 1968. The first director was Charles David McCally.
The octagonal theater seats 410. Because of its shape and building materials, primarily wood and plaster, it has excellent acoustics. It was fireproofed, and modern plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, artificial lights, red carpeting, and plush red opera chairs have augmented the original design. The court is trimmed with stone from five Southwestern states.
The Juliet Society, a volunteer organization for the benefit of the Globe, was founded in August 1975 to stimulate interest and provide volunteer workers. The theater building is used for the annual Odessa Shakespeare Festival, productions of classical and contemporary drama, and various other cultural events ranging from ballet and chamber music to the Odessa Brand New Opree, a country and western revue. Adjacent to the theater is a replica of Shakespeare's wife's home, which houses a Shakespearean library, archives, a small performance area, and a meetingplace. It opened to the public in the fall of 1989. The Odessa Globe has been featured in Life magazine.
Wallace R. Jackson, "A Study of Children's Theatre," Permian Historical Annual 11 (September 1971). Wallace R. Jackson, "Theatre History," Permian Historical Annual 9 (December 1969). Odessa American, November 14, 1971. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Bobbie Jean Klepper, "Globe of the Great Southwest," accessed May 05, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/klg01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on April 27, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles