- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO IN SAN ANTONIO
UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTÓNOMA DE MÉXICO IN SAN ANTONIO. On September 15, 1944, the National Autonomous University of Mexico began offering courses at the San Antonio Vocational School. The first courses offered were Spanish, Mexican Literature, Mexican History, International Law, and Social Economy; the session lasted four weeks. The following year the program was moved to Los Angeles, California, but in 1946 returned to San Antonio. In 1952 Francisco Monterde was director of the summer school. That year El Patronato, an organization mostly of Mexican-Americans, was established to support the school. In 1971 the municipal government of San Antonio authorized the UNAM to use a building located in Hemisfair Plaza, and the Permanent Extension School of the UNAM was founded; it is the only Mexican university outside of Mexico and the only foreign university in the United States. With the devaluation of the peso in 1982, cuts in staff and faculty were made. Administration personnel was reduced from eleven to three and faculty from twelve to four. In 1984 enrollment averaged 950. In October 1986 new facilities of the Permanent Extension School were opened at Plaza Mexico, where the Mexican Cultural Institute of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is also located. UNAM promotes cultural events to offer a general panorama of the art and history of Mexico, as well as a view of contemporary Mexican society. In 1988 a program of binational studies and the study of bilateral relations began. Since 1987 UNAM San Antonio has cooperated with the University of Texas at San Antonio, the University of Texas at Austin, Trinity University, the Mexican Cultural Institute, the University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to produce forty-six events related to Mexican studies.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Kemper Diehl and Jan Jarboe, Cisneros: Portrait of a New American (San Antonio: Corona Press, 1985). Nancy Hudson and Ben Fairbank, Sr., San Antonio (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1983). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (San Antonio, Texas; Colleges and Universities).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Guillermo Pulido, "UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL AUTONOMA DE MEXICO IN SAN ANTONIO," accessed November 17, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcu51.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.