TEXAS ENGINEERING EXTENSION SERVICE
TEXAS ENGINEERING EXTENSION SERVICE. The Texas Engineering Extension Service began as the Trade and Industrial Teacher Training Service in 1919, after the passage of the Smith-Hughes Act by Congress in 1917. It was administered through the Agricultural Education Department at Texas A&M. The service was implemented to train men from industry to teach vocational trade and industrial subjects in the public schools of Texas. In 1924 the School of Vocational Training took over the extension teachers' training program. The school was dissolved in 1935, and the programs transferred to the Department of Industrial Education at A&M. In August 1940 the board of directors implemented the Industrial Extension Training Service in the Department of Industrial Education. During 1940–42 extension training had become available to water and sewage plant operators, peace officers, public building custodians, electric linemen, and automobile mechanics. To meet wartime demands the Department of Industrial Education established programs for local firemen to set up emergency fire control units; for citizens in essential war industries; and for courses in Job Instructor Training for leadmen, foremen, and supervisors in war industries and military installations. In 1945 most programs established during the war were phased out except for firemen and supervisory training. The program for electric linemen training for rural electric cooperatives was also expanded. In July 1948 the board of directors established the Texas Engineering Extension Service as a part of the Texas A&M College System, an action acknowledged in the state Constitution and in state legislation and mandated by the original Land Grant College Act and the revised Civil Statutes of Texas. The director of the Industrial Extension Service became vice director of the Engineering Extension Service, responsible to the dean of engineering, who also served as director of the Engineering Extension Service. The Texas Engineering Extension Service is part of the Texas A&M University System and is under the management and control of the university's board of regents. G. Kemble Bennet, an associate vice chancellor for engineering, is the director of the TEES. The service maintains thirteen training divisions: Inspection Equipment and Public Work; Electric Power Training and Safety; Fire Protection; Electronics; Law Enforcement and Security; Management; Occupational and Environmental Safety; San Antonio; Small Business and Historically Underutilized Business; Telecommunications; Transportation; Water and Waste Water; and the Technology and Economic Development Division. In 1992 the TEES moved into new headquarters on the A&M campus in College Station. The organization also staffs an office in Galveston. Training Centers are located in Abilene, Arlington, Corpus Christi, Houston, and San Antonio. During the 1993–94 fiscal year the Texas Engineering Extension Service conducted 5,700 classes for 120,000 students. Their operating budget was $38 million. Robotics, lasers, production processes, and power generation are a few areas of program development that the TEES are investigating for future training opportunities.
H. D. Bearden, Brief History of the Origin and Development of the Texas Engineering Extension Service: The Texas A&M University System, 1948–1975 (College Station: Texas Engineering Extension Service, 1975). Target 2000 Resource Document (College Station: Texas Engineering Extension Service, 1981). Texas Engineering Extension Service, Annual Report, College Station, 1982–83.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Riedel, "TEXAS ENGINEERING EXTENSION SERVICE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct21), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.