TEXAS ENGINEERING EXPERIMENT STATION
TEXAS ENGINEERING EXPERIMENT STATION. The Texas Engineering Experiment Station, a statewide engineering and technology research agency, was established in 1914 by the board of directors of Texas A&M to aid the industrial development of Texas by investigating engineering and industrial problems and the dissemination of information related to such problems. Since its inception the station has continued to direct its efforts to the utilization of natural resources and the improvement of industrial processes. In 1994 A&M classified TEES as a branch of its Engineering Program. TEES has research units within the College of Engineering, including Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and Petroleum Engineering. TEES has a division of Computer Science and Engineering Technology within the college as well. Technology-related divisions of TEES conduct interdisciplinary studies of various problems and issues. Eight such centers exist within the A&M system in the colleges of Architecture, Business Administration, Education, Geosciences, Liberal Arts, Medicine, Science, and Veterinary Medicine. TEES also maintains regional stations at Lamar, Texas A&M International, New Mexico State, Prairie View A&M, Texas A&M at Kingsville, Texas A&M at Galveston, Texas Woman's and West Texas A&M universities. In 1994 the director of the TEES was Dr. C. Roland Haden. He took on the position in October of 1993. Previous directors include D. W. Spence (1914–17), James C. Nagle (1917–22), E. J. Fermier (1922–25), F. C. Bolton (1925–27), F. E. Fiesecke (1925–39), Gibb Gilchrist (1939–44), and H. W. Barlow (1944–48). The TEES budget exceeds $45 million received from federal, state, and private funds. Seed money, specialized research equipment and facilities, and funds for sustaining proven research areas are provided by state general revenue funds. Typically, every state dollar invested in TEES generates four dollars in additional support through private grants and contract work. The TEES workload is conducted primarily by faculty and graduate students; however, full-time researchers are also employed. Current projects include the Institute for Manufacturing Systems, the Offshore Technology Research Center, the Center for Electrochemical Systems and Hydrogen Research, elector-optics research, and enhanced oil recovery. Previous research focused on road building, bridge construction, sanitation and sewage methods, petroleum refining, agricultural products, and aeronautical designs and installations.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Tracé Etienne-Gray, "TEXAS ENGINEERING EXPERIMENT STATION," accessed July 06, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct20.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.