TEXAS AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION
TEXAS AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION. The Texas Agricultural Experiment Station was established in April 1887 to conduct research into every phase of the state's crop and livestock operations. Research was designed to point the way toward maintaining and improving productive resources; lowering production costs; improving quality of food, feed, and fiber products; expanding markets; and devising new and better methods for growing, processing and distributing, and utilizing farm and ranch products. It was to publish findings for use in college courses and dissemination by the Texas Agricultural Extension Service, which like the station is part of the Texas A&M University System. By March 1888 scientists at A&M were conducting the station's first research projects in College Station. By 1889 its first field tests were conducted at several state prison farms, the state reform school in Gatesville, and Prairie View Normal College. Temporary stations were started at McKinney and Wichita Falls in 1893, and several other locations also had temporary stations during the agency's first century. The first permanent regional station opened in Beeville in 1894. By 1994 there were twelve regional Texas Agricultural Research and Extension centers, located in Amarillo, Beaumont, Chillicothe-Vernon, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Lubbock, Overton, San Angelo, Stephenville, Uvalde, and Weslaco. Other units were located in Beeville, Munday, Angleton, Eagle Lake, Pecos, Barnhart, Sonora, McGregor, Temple, Yoakum, and Port Aransas. Cooperating units of the United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service were located in Big Spring, College Station, Kerrville, and Mission. See also AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH.
Robert L. Haney, Milestones: Marking Ten Decades of Research (College Station: Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, 1989). Irvin May, "Agricultural Science in the Texas Panhandle: The Texas Agricultural Experiment Station," Panhandle-Plains Historical Review 53 (1980). Irvin M. May, Jr., "Southwestern Agricultural Experiment Stations during the New Deal," in Agriculture in the West, ed. Edward L. and Frederick H. Schapsmeier (Manhattan, Kansas, 1980). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Steve Hill, "Texas Agricultural Experiment Station," accessed May 01, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct14.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on September 4, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles