SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE
SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE. San Antonio College, San Antonio, was formally opened on September 21, 1925, as University Junior College with an enrollment of 200 students. It is one of the oldest public two-year colleges in Texas. Classes were first conducted in the old Main High School building after dismissal of high school classes for the day. Under the administration of the University of Texas and in the absence of an appropriation to support the junior college, fees were charged on a quarterly basis. The purpose of the college was to provide services and facilities in addition to those offered by the church-related colleges in San Antonio. The state attorney general ruled in December 1925 that operation of a junior college by the University of Texas violated the state constitution; thus, supervision of the college, known as San Antonio Junior College, passed to the San Antonio board of education for the second year of operation. Although tuition covered the cost of instruction, the city chapter of the American Association of University Women underwrote other financial needs for the 1926–27 academic year. In 1926 the college was assigned part of the building on Alamo Street formerly occupied by the German-English School and later by Thomas Nelson Page Junior High School. The college then offered a full-time and evening curriculum. In 1930 the indefinite status of the college was ended when it was made part of the San Antonio School System for a five-year probationary period. Public support for the college insured its continued existence.
James Otis Loftin became president in 1941 and until his death in 1955 was largely responsible for the college's growth. St. Philip's Junior College, an African-American institution, was transferred from the operation of the Episcopal diocese to the San Antonio Independent School District in 1942 as a branch of San Antonio Junior College. In 1945 a proposal for a San Antonio Union Junior College District for metropolitan San Antonio was approved by a substantial voting majority. In August 1946 San Antonio Junior College and St. Philip's Junior College passed from control of the board of trustees. San Antonio College was adopted as the official name in 1948. In 1950 enrollment was 500. All buildings on the thirty-seven-acre San Pedro Avenue campus were constructed after 1950 and include library, administration, classroom, and science buildings (1950), a health building (1951), a student center, a maintenance building, and an annex containing classrooms and a computer center (1954), a fine arts center (1956), the president's home (1958), a chemistry-geology building (1961), Dewey Annex containing departmental offices (1963), Nail Technical Center (1966), Moody Learning Center (1968), Fletcher Administration Center (1972), Nursing Education Building (1972), Koehler Cultural Center (1973), Campus Police Building (1973), Bennett Estate (1974), Child Development Center (1974), Day Care Center (1974), Motor Pool Building (1978), and Maintenance Building (1979). The Baptist, Church of Christ, and Methodist student centers were also constructed during these years.
The college, fully accredited, operated both day and evening divisions as well as a summer school program. Courses of instruction were categorized as those leading to degrees from senior institutions, technical and vocational, terminal vocation, and community service. The college participated in the Texas Educational Microwave Project, a televised program of instruction, through a Ford Foundation grant. In 1964 the enrollment was 9,100, and the faculty numbered 175. Student enrollment reached over 22,000 in 1973; the library had 91,000 volumes that year. In 1967 the San Antonio Independent School District transferred responsibility for the adult continuing education program to the school. In 1974 Paul R. Culwell was dean of the college, and Jerome F. Weynand was president of the college district. San Antonio College is approved and accredited by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Association of Texas Colleges and Universities, the Texas Educational Theater Association, the Texas Association of Music Schools, the National League for Nursing, the American Board of Funeral Service Education, the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges, the Southern Association of Junior Colleges, the Commission of Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, the Committee on Allied Health Education, and the Texas Public Community and Junior College Association. In 1978 the San Antonio Union Junior College District changed its name to San Antonio Community College District, and in 1982 it became the Alamo Community College District. The school has offerings in liberal arts and science education, occupational and technical education, extended service or evening courses, developmental education, and continuing education. In 1991 the school had 22,000 credit and 15,000 continuing-education students, making it the largest single-campus community college in Texas. Max Castillo was president.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE," accessed October 19, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcs04.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on February 15, 2019. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.