NEW BRAUNFELS ACADEMY
NEW BRAUNFELS ACADEMY. New Braunfels Academy, in New Braunfels, was established about 1856. A stone building was dedicated on April 17 of that year, and the following year an additional room was added. A twenty-year charter granted on February 5, 1858, provided that the school be governed by a board of six trustees, the mayor of New Braunfels, and the Comal county judge. It was supported by a city tax and tuition. New Braunfels is said to be the first city in Texas in which the citizens voted unanimously to impose a tax to support a school. In 1876 the school received support from the Peabody Fund. When the charter was about to expire in 1878, a legislative act to renew it was vetoed by Governor O. M. Roberts on the ground that the act establishing the academy was not in harmony with the constitution and laws of the state of Texas. The original long, one-story building of New Braunfels Academy was razed in 1913 to be replaced by a two-story school building on the same location, at West Mill and Academy streets.
Edgar R. Dabney, The Settlement of New Braunfels and the History of Its Earlier Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."NEW BRAUNFELS ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kcn03), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on February 18, 2015. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.