HERMANN UNIVERSITY. Hermann University, an ambitious educational project of the period of the Republic of Texas, was chartered by an act of Congress approved on January 27, 1844. The board of trustees, headed by Louis C. Ervendberg, was to choose officials, fix a location on Mill Creek or Cummins Creek, and sell shares in a managing stock company at fifty dollars or fifty acres of land per share. The school was to have a Protestant faculty, preparatory schools, and departments of theology, law, medicine, and philosophy. The republic contributed a square league of land. The charter was amended on April 11, 1846, to provide that the faculty should not be styled by the name of any religious confession and that the location was to be any site designated by the president and trustees. Evidently the shares were too expensive, however, for on August 10, 1870, the legislature provided for reincorporation of the school with shares to be sold at fifteen dollars and granted to the school a league in Gillespie County. Frelsburg, Colorado County, was selected for the location, and a two-story building was erected, but the university never opened. The act of incorporation was repealed on November 1, 1871. The property was sold to the Frelsburg public schools. Land patented to the university lies between White Oak Creek and the Pedernales River in Gillespie County.
Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898). William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HERMANN UNIVERSITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kch07), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.