WEST TEXAS MILITARY ACADEMY
WEST TEXAS MILITARY ACADEMY. West Texas Military Academy was founded in San Antonio, Texas, in 1893, by Bishop James S. Johnston with the aid of gifts from Mrs. Edward Cunningham of San Antonio and Mrs. George P. Andrews of Brooklyn, New York. The first building was located on Grayson Street, not far from Fort Sam Houston. In 1910 the academy was moved to a new location in Alamo Heights, where an attractive building was erected. This proved to be a rather ambitious step, and for some years the financial condition of the school was precarious. By 1917 there was a heavy debt, but better administration kept the deficit from growing, and in 1921 the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas conducted a financial campaign, which succeeded in reducing the indebtedness. In 1926 the academy ceased to be under the direction of the Episcopal church and was combined with San Antonio Academy with W. W. Bondurant as principal. The name was changed to Texas Military Institute, San Antonio. The former building of the San Antonio Academy on North Flores Street was used by the Lower School, and the buildings of the West Texas Academy in Alamo Heights were occupied by the Upper School. In a period when good secondary education for boys was hard to obtain, West Texas Military Academy made a real contribution. Many army officers stationed at Fort Sam Houston sent their sons to the academy, and there are many distinguished names on the roll of former students, including that of Douglas MacArthur.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.DuBose Murphy, "WEST TEXAS MILITARY ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbw10), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.