- Get Involved
WEATHERFORD COLLEGE. Weatherford College, the oldest junior college in the state, was founded by the Phoenix Lodge of the Masonic Order in Weatherford, which in 1869 received a charter to establish a Masonic Institute. Although construction began that year, classes were not held until two or three years later. In 1884 the school's name was changed to Cleveland College in honor of Grover Cleveland, the first Democratic president elected since the Civil War. Five years later the Central Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, moved Granbury College, which had originally opened in 1873 as a private elementary and high school and had been under the conference's authority since 1880, to Weatherford and combined the two institutions as Weatherford College. President David S. Switzer guided the institution through the first decade under its new name. The average yearly enrollment was about 300, and the school offered classes from grade school through the senior year of college. Switzer left Weatherford in 1902 to establish his own college, and from 1903 to 1921 the school operated intermittently; it even served briefly as an academy. In 1921 the institution was reorganized as a junior college. Under the leadership of President Fred G. Rand and Secretary Gus L. Ford, Weatherford Junior College was accredited by the Texas Association of Colleges and acquired a sound financial foundation through grants from the estates of J. R. Couts and Edward D. Farmer of Weatherford. In 1944 Southwestern University took over operation of Weatherford as a branch institution, with the understanding that if Southwestern should discontinue the relationship, the college's facilities would then be offered to the city of Weatherford or to Parker County for the purpose of operating a public junior college. In 1949 Southwestern transferred the college to the county, and the school officially became Weatherford College of the Parker County Junior College District. In 1966 the college district purchased ninety acres and built a new campus in the southeastern part of the city. In 1975 the school added the Education Center facility at Mineral Wells, which comprised ninety acres of land and seventeen buildings from the General Services Administration following the closing of Fort Wolters. By 2001 Weatherford College had extension centers in Aledo, Alvord, Azle, Bridgeport, Coleman, Decatur, Gordon, Granbury, Jacksboro, Tolar, and Lipan. In 1998 Weatherford College had 436 faculty with 2,585 students in the fall term and 1,950 in the summer session. In 1998 the college opened the Marjorie Black Alkek Fine Arts Center and in 2000 the Jim and Veleda Boyd Technology Building. Don Huff was president.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, David Minor, "WEATHERFORD COLLEGE," accessed March 21, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbw07.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.