ST. ANTHONY SEMINARY
ST. ANTHONY SEMINARY. St. Anthony Seminary was established in 1905 by the missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate as a high school department and preparatory school for the San Antonio Philosophical and Theological Seminary (see OBLATE SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY) on the same twenty-four-acre tract of land north of San Antonio. The school represented the culmination of several earlier attempts to found and maintain a school for the education of Texas candidates for the Catholic priesthood. Students not necessarily intending to become priests were accepted until 1911. Though the name St. Anthony's Apostolic School was the official title, the school came to be known unofficially for several decades as St. Anthony's College. In 1920 the major seminary students, those in philosophy and theology, were moved to a temporary home in Castroville, thus leaving St. Anthony's for the exclusive use of the high school and college preparatory students. The name St. Anthony's Junior Seminary was adopted in 1950 and shortened to St. Anthony Seminary in 1968. In 1995 enrollment at St. Anthony's stood at 135 with a faculty of 17. Graduates of the high school who wish to study for the priesthood may continue at the Oblate School of Theology. In July 1995 St. Anthony's was incorporated into the Incarnate Word College system. Incarnate Word continued to run the school as an all boys preparatory high school.
Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml