SPRINGTOWN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE
SPRINGTOWN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE. Springtown Male and Female Institute, in Springtown, Parker County, was chartered by the state of Texas in 1884. The school was operated for ten years under the guidance of president B. F. Fronabarger and vice president W. P. Miller. The majority of the students enrolled at Springtown were originally from Indian Territory. The institute was unable to compete with the rapidly developing cities following the expansion of a railroad network that crisscrossed North Texas in the 1890s. It closed in 1894. Today the only evidence that remains of the school is a statue built by former students in honor of Fronabarger, Miller, and the founders of College Hill Institute, another school in Springtown.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Weatherford Democrat, August 11, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SPRINGTOWN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs42), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.