SOUTHERN BIBLE COLLEGE
SOUTHERN BIBLE COLLEGE. Southern Bible College, a coeducational college in Houston, was founded after church leaders of the East Texas District of the Pentecostal Church of God of America expressed the need for a regional educational facility. The institution started under the direction of Worden McDonald and opened in 1958 with forty-three students and seven faculty members. In 1959 the general convention of the Pentecostal Church of God voted to make the college a regional school to be owned by the central and eastern regions of the church; after that time the school operated under the general organization of the Pentecostal Church in Joplin, Missouri. The initial objective was to establish a Bible college with programs in general courses at the junior college level, Bible and theological courses, and training for Christian ministry. Students were invited to participate in teaching, preaching, counseling, singing, witnessing, and administrative activities. The institution moved to a temporary location in the fall of 1959, a church building on Gonzales Street in Houston. In 1963 an administration and classroom building and a gymnasium were built on a permanent site on the Beaumont highway. Dormitories, a cafeteria, a temporary library, and other buildings for classroom space were added subsequently. In 1968 the college was an associate member of the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges. Enrollment in the fall of 1974 reached 208. The president in that year was McDonald. In the early 1980s, however, Southern Bible College closed for financial reasons.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SOUTHERN BIBLE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs30), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.