SOUTHEAST TEXAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE
SOUTHEAST TEXAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE. Southeast Texas Male and Female College was located in Jasper and operated from 1878 to 1904. After the closing of the Jasper Collegiate Institute a group of citizens formed a company and issued stock to fund the new school. The large two-story building opened its doors on September 2, 1878, with ninety-two students and C. P. McCrohan as first president. During his five-year term the college prospered and earned a good reputation in East Texas. It offered classes in business, music, art, Latin, Greek, mathematics, and science. S. H. Patrick served as president for a year and then was replaced by D. C. and Wesley Peacock, graduates of the University of Georgia. The Peacocks guided the college through its most successful years. After a seven-year stint D. C. and Wesley gave up the presidency to their brother J. H. Peacock, who served for only a year. E. E. Barker, John A. Smart, M. L. Moody, Charles E. Durham, and J. H. Gardner followed in rapid succession. In 1898 J. H. Synnott and P. C. Scullin, graduates of Cumberland University, took the reins. After a fire destroyed the old building in 1900, Jasper citizens rebuilt the school. Enrollment the following semester was approximately 200; included in that figure were sixty boarders representing ten counties. After Synnott and Scullin resigned, P. I. Hunter became president in 1902 and served until 1904. In that year Southeast Texas Male and Female College was absorbed by the Jasper public school system. Hunter served as superintendent of public schools for eight years. Although the college had in later years offered an A.B. degree, there is no record that any student earned one.
R. B. Martin, "Early Schools in Jasper County," East Texas Historical Journal 3 (March 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "SOUTHEAST TEXAS MALE AND FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbs25), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles