PALESTINE FEMALE COLLEGE
PALESTINE FEMALE COLLEGE. In 1858 a school to be called Palestine Female Institute was authorized by stock subscription to be built on land donated by Reuben A. Reeves and Paul J. and Mary Simons. The trustees included F. S. Jackson and John Murchison. The transfer of authorization to the board includes the names of John H. Reagan, William Alexander, and W. G. W. Jowers. Among the early teachers were W. M. Bishop and his three daughters, Agnes, Cynthia, and Sally. In 1873 the Palestine Education Association was formed. Professor A. H. Bailey from Alabama served as principal of the school, which offered literary, music, art, and telegraphic courses to both male and female students. On July 29, 1876, a new charter was obtained, and the name was changed to Palestine Female College. In 1881 in a second election voters approved the transfer of the school property to the public school system. The site of the institute was occupied by the Palestine Junior High School building in 1990.
James David Carter, Education and Masonry in Texas, 1846 to 1861 (Waco Grand Lodge of Texas, 1964). Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936). Palestine Daily Herald, May 21, 1930.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Georgia Kemp Caraway, "PALESTINE FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbp16), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.