PALUXY COLLEGE. Paluxy College, at a sulfur spring a mile from Glenrose in Somervell County, was opened in 1877 by R. H. Whitehead. In 1878 the plant, including two acres of land and a two-story frame building that accommodated 150 students, was offered for sale, and the Paluxy Baptist Association, with promise of a subsidy by citizens of Glenrose, bought the property. In 1879 W. M. Dow opened the school under Baptist management. L. W. Coleman became president in 1880. Although recommended by the Baptist General Association, the school apparently could not compete with public schools and was not able to meet the payments due Whitehead. By 1881 Coleman and J. N. Chandler had taken over the plant as private property.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PALUXY COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbp02), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.