METROPOLITAN TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
METROPOLITAN TECHNICAL INSTITUTE. Metropolitan Business College, the first major business school in Dallas, was founded in 1887 by R. H. Hill and J. H. Gillespie. In 1899 it was sold to Alphonso and Susie Ragland and Willis W. Darby. The Raglands purchased Darby's share at his death in 1901. In 1904 the school, with an enrollment of 600 students, moved into a new three-story building at Commerce and St. Paul streets, where typing, shorthand, English, bookkeeping, penmanship, and banking were taught. Ragland retired as president in 1947, after 25,000 students had graduated from the school. That year the institution was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Tracy H. Rutherford, who ran the Rutherford School of Business. By 1954 the Rutherford-Metropolitan School of Business was operating with Rutherford as president. The school had fourteen faculty members and 324 students. In 1957 Rutherford purchased Tyler Commercial College, and the school of radio and television at that school became the Tyler Engineering College. In 1960 the engineering college was moved to Dallas, and a new corporation was formed; the name was gradually changed to Metropolitan Technical Institute. In 1959–60 the Rutherford-Metropolitan School of Business had an enrollment of 350 and eighteen faculty members, and Metropolitan Technical Institute had sixty students and two faculty members. During the 1960s Metropolitan Technical Institute averaged an annual enrollment of 600. The school offered a twenty-four-month course in automation, with majors in electronic engineering, data processing, and computer programming. The staff included forty instructors and five placement counselors. In 1964–65 Hampton Rutherford was the president, and the school had sixty-eight faculty members and 635 students . It appears that the school soon went out of business.
Sam Hanna Acheson, Dallas Yesterday, ed. Lee Milazzo (Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 1977). Dallas Morning News, February 5, 1953. Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans (5 vols., ed. E. C. Barker and E. W. Winkler [Chicago and New York: American Historical Society, 1914; rpt. 1916]).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "METROPOLITAN TECHNICAL INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm21), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.