MERIDIAN JUNIOR COLLEGE
MERIDIAN JUNIOR COLLEGE. Meridian Junior College, in Meridian in Bosque County, originated as Meridian Training School, which was incorporated in 1907 under the leadership of George F. Campbell, a Methodist pastor who envisioned a school to train ministers and their children. Campbell served as the school's president until July 1909. In September of that year the school opened its session as an affiliate of the Gatesville District Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Initially, it offered classes beginning with kindergarten, but gradually it dropped the first six grades and added two years of college courses. Several different districts controlled the institution. On November 15, 1920, the property was transferred to the Central Texas Conference of the church. At that time Meridian achieved Class A Junior College status, and its name was changed to Meridian Junior College. In addition to the main administration building, which was completed in 1909, the college had a dining hall, two dormitories, and a former public school building. Three successive fires put the college in financial straits, and it closed its doors on May 30, 1927. The Meridian public schools subsequently acquired the property and used the old main building until it burned in 1967. New public school facilities were built on the site.
Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Texas, Land and People (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985). Rebecca D. Radde, Bosque Primer: An Introduction to the History of Bosque County (1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "MERIDIAN JUNIOR COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm20), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.