MCVEIGH SCHOOL. McVeigh School, also known as the Seminary for Young Ladies and as the Female Institute, was opened in Austin, Travis County, by Rev. T. J. McVeigh in September 1867. Classes were conducted in the First Baptist Church. The school enrolled fifty-five pupils in December 1867, had primary, preparatory, and collegiate departments, and offered courses in vocal and instrumental music. Because of financial difficulties during Reconstruction and competition with other institutions, the school was closed by the end of 1869.
Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julia L. Vivian, "MCVEIGH SCHOOL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm18), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.