MASONIC COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE
MASONIC COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE. The Masonic Collegiate Institute at Anderson, Grimes County, was established in the spring of 1846 under the auspices of the Orphan's Friend Lodge No. 17 of Anderson. Marcus A. Montrose served as president. In 1847 the first of two large frame buildings housing the academy was completed on the twenty-five-acre campus, which later became the site of Anderson-Shiro School. In early 1851 the institute was forced to suspend operation, and in May of that year its property was conveyed to the trustees of a new school, St. Paul's Academy.
Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "MASONIC COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm11), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.