Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


COLLEGE HILL INSTITUTE. College Hill Institute, at Springtown in the northeast corner of Parker County, was chartered by the state of Texas in 1884. It operated for ten years under the guidance of president John W. McCracken and vice president D. P. Hurley. Springtown was also the home of the Springtown Male and Female Institute, and the community became known as the "educational center for northwest Texas." In 1894 the school closed.


Dallas Morning News, May 21, 1939, June 1, 1941. Weatherford Democrat, August 11, 1939.

David Minor


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor, "COLLEGE HILL INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.