CLEBURNE MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE
CLEBURNE MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE. Cleburne Male and Female Institute, in Cleburne, was established in 1866 under the auspices of the Cleburne Baptist Church. In 1870 the Alvarado Baptist Association assumed control of the school. The first principal, J. R. Clark, was succeeded by W. B. Featherstone when the school was incorporated in 1872. The institute emphasized science, mathematics, and language. A maximum enrollment of 220 was recorded in 1874. With the opening of the Cleburne public school in 1875, enrollment declined, and in 1878 the institute was closed.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934). Joe P. Ross, "Requiem of a Cleburne School, 1868–1875," Texana 6 (1968). Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Herman L. Crow, "CLEBURNE MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc29), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.